Of the many fruits of Montana’s quirky and creative denizens, the Hopshnop liqueur from Big Fork’s Whistling Andy distillery is particularly unexpected. Born from a collaboration with Bonsai Brewing Project (based in Whitefish, MT), the Hopshnop is a bright and bracing way to introduce the citrusy, floral bitterness of a good IPA into some of your regular cocktails.
It starts with Bonsai Brewing Project’s mash for their Due North India Red Ale, a hoppy 7% IRA that clocks in at a sturdy 85bu, and those hops show up brilliantly in the liqueur. What comes across most is the floral character of the hops and the aroma, with the bitterness showing up on the finish to cap it all off. Think of it less as a straight spirit and more as an extra layer of flavor to splash into other citrus-tinged drinks: try a splash added to a gin and tonic for a more robust botanical effect, or do a Hopshnop rinse on a glass of rich bourbon to add a bit of crispness. Chilled and served neat, this would make a fine digestif in place of a pastis or sipped alongside a heavy meal like an aquavit. As another thing to consider, Whistling Andy does not use any artificial flavorings or colorings, so you can be assured that everything in their bottles is natural and crafted with attention to the details.
The Montana Highball
1.5oz Hopshnops 5oz Q Club Soda Mixer Lime Wedge
Method Fill a highball glass with ice and add the Hopshnop. Pour in Q Club Soda, gently stir and garnish with a lime wedge. Enjoy!
**PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING**
- The estimated shipping time for alcohol orders is 3-15 business days depending on how close you are to the San Diego, CA area. Orders will be fulfilled and shipped within 2-5 business days after the order is placed, unless one of the conditions below applies.
- Unfortunately, we cannot deliver to any PO Box addresses or the states of Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming. You will not be able to complete your purchase if you are in one of those states. If you complete an alcohol purchase with a PO Box address, you will be contacted to give us a different address to ship to.
- Someone 21 years of age or older MUST be available to sign for any alcohol orders. Packages containing alcohol will not be left on doorsteps and delivery will be attempted 3 times total. We strongly recommend ordering to your place of work if you are typically not home throughout the day.
- WE CAN NOT Ship to a FedEx or Walgreens as they will not accept packages from other local carriers.
- We DO NOT offer refunds if your alcohol order is returned to us. We feel that 3 attempted deliveries is ample opportunity to take delivery. We are charged an additional $20 for all returned packages that are not delivered after 3 attempts and another $20 if we want to attempt delivery again, so we can not offer refunds on account of this unless you are willing to pay the extra $40 worth of charges. We will of course offer refunds or replacements for any products that are damaged or below satisfaction.